Summer is finally here in full swing and it feels glorious! How incredible to feel the warmth of the sun on our skin! It is with gratitude and a full heart we welcome summer with Wheel Pose.
Lie on your back (supine) on the floor. Bend your knees and place the feet hip width apart, close to the hips. Bend your elbows and place your hands next to the head on the floor, palms open and wide, fingers pointing towards the shoulders.
- Press the shoulders down in the floor, feel how that opens and even lifts the chest somewhat, take the tailbone in. Press the inner feet down.
- On an inhalation lift the hips to the ceiling. Stay here for a breath or two
- Inhale and on an exhalation pull the feet in towards yourself, ground the shoulders actively down into the floor to ground your shoulder blades on the back and take the armpits in and press into your hands to lift your body up, onto the crown of the head or straight away up to the ceiling straightening your arms as much as possible.
- Once up there, inner thighs roll in, tailbone lengthens, upper arms rotate outwards, upper back curls ad you can let your head hang or lift your head a bit to look down to the floor.
- To come out, exhale and lower yourself down to the floor as you look up to the ceiling, chin to chest.
- Hold the pose anywhere fro 5-10 breaths and possibly repeat them
- Feel free to try a variation by lifting a leg or to open the shoulders a bit more go up against the wall and place blocks under you palms
Benefits of this Pose
- Strengthens your arms, wrists, upper back, spine and thighs
- Opens the shoulders, chest/lungs, groins, front of the thighs
- Increases your energy and counteracts depression
- therapeutic for back pain, depression, low energy, asthma, osteoporosis, infertility
- Open your heart to the possibilities