Happy September, glowing yogis!
As we’re transitioning into a new month and preparing for a change in season, remember that nothing in this sweet life is permanent. Night turns to day and summer morphs into spring without pausing to consider if anyone is ready. Change doesn’t wait for an invitation. Even in our own personal journeys, a path appearing to have taken unexpected twists and turns could really just be a beautiful change in perspective, spiraling you into something that’s even more serving to your personal growth.
Remember that you are exactly who and what and where you need to be, and you are lovely.
Life is full of surprises and serendipity. If you try to plan every step, you may miss those wonderful twists and turns that propel us toward the spaces or destinations we need to inhabit most.
This month, we’re embracing the unexpected twists and turns with Parivrtta Trikonasana, or Twisted Triangle Pose:
- From Tadasana, step your right foot 3-4 feet in front of your left, squaring your hips to the front of your mat.
- Maintaining a flat spine, hinge forward out of your hips to enter Pyramid Pose, or Parsovottanasana.
- Plant your left palm onto the floor or a block at the inside of your right foot, and then twist from your low belly to the right.
- Open your chest by drawing your shoulderblades in and down your back, and send your right arm up overhead
- Allow your gaze to meet your lifted fingertips
Benefits of Parivrtta Trikonasana, or Twisted Triangle Pose:
- Strengthens and stretches both legs
- The twist stimulates and rinses the abdominal organs, aiding in healthy digestion
- Stretches the hips and spine
- Great twist for mild low back pain
For an added challenge in this posture, bring your left hand to the outside of your right foot. Inhale to lengthen, and exhale to deepen the twist.