Wowie! We’re slowly but surely recovering from that epic full moon + eclipse hangover, and we’re ready to build some fire in our bodies to keep us cozy and warm all season. We’re kicking off the month with some juicy cat / cow stretches. And, if all of the fall décor and Halloween decorations have you inspired to befriend your own internal Mr. Skeleton, know that your spine adores this one!
- From a neutral tabletop position, stack your shoulders over your wrists and your hips over your knees
- On an inhale, drop your belly and draw the crown of your head up toward the ceiling
- On an exhale, send your gaze to your navel and round your spine as you press energetically into your palms
Benefits of Cat-Cow Stretching:
- Prevents back pain
- Improves spinal flexibility and abdominal strength
- Stretches the hips, abdomen, back, and shoulders
- Increases coordination and improved balance
- Massages organs in the belly like your kidneys and adrenal glands
Each of these postures are linked with breath, making this combination a sweet and simple vinyasa. You can put each of these postures in your body slowly, and then flow through the movements for about 5-6 rounds at your own pace. For an extra juicy stretch, add in some organic movements like maybe shifting back into a child’s pose while you’re in your cat before coming back to an arched back. You can move your spine from flexion (rounded spine) to extension (arched back) in numerous other postures, too! The variations are endless!