Guess what day it is? It’s the first Wednesday of 2016, and to kick off hump day, we give you: Camel Pose! This heart-opening and energizing backbend ignites the throat chakra, and it can elicit some fear in some or be a source of fiery power for others. Be gentle with yourself as you approach this one.
- At the top of your mat, come to standing on your knees so that your shoulders are stacked upon hips and hips on top of knees
- Bring your palms to your low back
- Press into your palms as you tip your pelvis forward slightly and lengthen the back pelvis down through your tailbone
- Energetically pull your shoulderblades together and lead with your gaze as your drop back
- If your backbend is deep enough for you to see what’s behind you, option to take your hands to your calves or heels
Benefits of Camel Pose:
- Energizing posture can help nudge you out of bouts of fatigue
- Stretches the entire front of the body, your deep hip flexors, and back muscles
- Improves posture
- Ignites and balances chakras
Get yourself over the hump as we continue on into the New Year! Featured is instructor and manager Heather Avery conquering her fear of deeper backbends.