On we March. Into the month. Into the season. Into the storm. Into the thick of it. We keep marching. Whether we’re ready or not, we’re sometimes thrown into circumstances that aren’t necessarily exactly as we’d choose. So we get up, and we move.
In honor of standing tall, feeling powerful, and readying our bodies for whatever comes next, we’re going through Standing Half Moon this month. Not only is this a juicy side body stretch, and the starting posture in our YBD HOT sequence, but it opens and releases the shoulders, which helps to balance perceptions of inner and outer self: how you see the world, and how the world sees you. This balanced notion will help us to march on no matter what’s going on outside of us and around us.
Accessing the Posture:
- From Urdhva Hastasana, come to a steeple grip by interlacing your fingers overhead with index fingers pointing up.
- Keeping your arms at your ears, bump your hips to the left and stretch to the right
- Open through the chest, and look up to the left with a lifted chin to expose the throat chakra
- Energetically pull your face through your arms to keep the chest open
- Focus on using and stretching the hips rather than bending from the torso
- Repeat on both sides
Benefits of the Posture:
- Increases flexibility of the spine
- Corrects poor posture
- Improves and strengthens every muscle in the central body, especially in the back and abdomen
- Helps to build will power and strong self-esteem