Our December 2018 pose of the month is Uttihita Tadasana or Five Pointed Star pose.
Utthita – extended
Tada – mountain
Asana – pose
We love this pose for the symbolism of the Star which is always prevalent this holiday season. And also because of the grounding and energizing benefits the pose offers! Exactly what the yoga doctor ordered as we navigate this busy time of year.
This month we’re offering it in two orientations to the earth! Everything is better upside down, am I right?
1. From a standing pose, step your feet wide apart, with your arms out to the side. Your feet should be under your wrists, facing forward and parallel.
2. Press your weight into your feet, pull up your knee caps and activate your thighs, gently tuck your tailbone, and feel your strong and solid legs rooted into the floor.
3. Reach out through your fingertips, trying to touch the side walls. Relax your shoulders down and back, gently opening your chest towards the front of the room.
4. Inhale and press the crown of your head up towards the ceiling. Look straight ahead with your chin parallel to the floor.
5. Inhale deeply into the belly and chest, exhale press into the feet, fingers and crown, feeling your body expanding out in 5 directions. Option here to walk your gaze up toward the ceiling opening your heart toward the sky.
6. Keep breathing and hold for 4-8 breaths.
7. To release, bend one knee and simply step back into a standing pose.
The handstand variation is exactly the same except your hands replace your feet!
See you next year, yogis!!!