Prasarita Padottanasana – Wide Leg Forward Fold
* Stretches as well as strengthens inner & outer legs & ankles – perfect for post work or after a long car ride.
* Great for fatigue or headaches by getting blood moving towards your brain – it is an awesome pick me up.
* Rushes fresh healthy oxygenated blood to the face giving you that beautiful post yoga glow.
* Begin in Tadasana & turn towards the long edge of your mat.
* Take a wide step out allowing your feet to take up 3-4 feet of mat space.
* Press firmly into the outer edges of your feet, your arches/big toe side has a tendency to collapse, bring your feet closer together to maintain a solid foundation rooted through parallel feet. Option here to bring toes in & heels out.
* Bring hands to hips & inhale to lengthen your spine, keep your chest open & reach the crown of your head to the sky.
Exhale hinge at the hips & begin to fold over your legs, keeping hips over heels. Do not allow your weight to press back.
* Encourage your shoulders away from your ears & put more weight into the ball mounts of your feet (imagine being able to slide a piece of paper under your heels.)
* Take a couple of breaths & ease into the position.
* For low back pain allow a gentle bend in your knees.
* Place your hands on the earth, reach for your ankles or legs.
* Place one palm on the earth & reach up introducing a twist into your spine (Pictured – repeat on opposite side).
* Interlace your fingers at the base of your spine & lift your fists up away from your hips.
Allow yourself time to explore this pose, feel the sensation of being upside down. If you are working towards handstands or tripod headstand you can place your palms down & begin lifting your heels off the earth to strengthen the backs of your legs even further & feel yourself growing confident in the change of gravity.